Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fifth Grade

The last year of Elementary school was interesting to say the least. I had Mrs. Meyers, and she was an odd bird. Her husband died during the year, so maybe the weirdness can be attributed to grief for loosing her husband. I also had History with Mrs. Jenkins, so we could get used to switching classes as we would do in Middle School the following year. I always liked Mrs. Jenkins, but I was a little scared of her at the same time.

She was a very stern black woman with a firm grasp on history. I learned a lot, and had fun working on projects that inspired my creativity. Karen was in her class, and said she was just as smart in all subjects as in history. I remember thinking I got off easy by having Mrs. Meyers as my teacher.

This year I decided I was too grown up to be in Brownies, and I didn't join. A lot of girls quit this year too, and we didn't miss it, even though we had a fun time while it lasted. Not going gave me more time to play with friends and just mess around, so I didn't feel like I was missing anything.

We also got to try out a musical instrument this year. I decided on the Viola, and had tons of fun learning how to play. I didn't do much practicing, but I was a natural, so I could get away with it. I don't remember who my teacher was, but I can still remember the songs we learned and can't help but sing "Go tell Aunt Rhody" when "Lord Dismiss us with thy Blessing" is played in church.

Fifth Graders got to go on a week long camp-out with a different school. We were in cabins, and got to participate in all kinds of activities. We played games, and had an all around good time. There was some game that involved us running around an old fashioned town, and I ended up getting locked in jail. It was pretty cold outside, so I didn't mind so much not being back out in the elements. There was a hay ride on which I was introduced to Queen. I learned "We Will Rock You" and "We are the Champions". I must admit my life has never been the same since.

Chrissi Newell was in my class this year, and we had a ton of fun! I would go home with her, or ride my bike over on a Saturday. One Saturday in particular I had ridden over, and left when it was time to go home. I got turned around and couldn't find my way back! I became really scared when the sky got dark, it became really windy and the tornado alerts went off! I was so scared I would be blown away like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, but fortunately I made it home safely.

We again had "The Change of Life" class in fifth grade, but we were taught not only about the changes in ourselves, but also about the changes that were taking place in the boys our age. The boys also got a class, after which Jamie Bogurelli exclaimed "I know about you!" when Missy Hogan asked what he was talking about he pulled out his pamphlet and pointed to a picture of a uterus. Sometimes I wonder if fifth grade is a little early to teach about these things!

My friend Kim Wofile planned a really cool birthday party this year. She was born around Halloween, so it had a halloween-is theme to it. Kim lived a few houses down from the Poulsons, and traveled to our school for some special education program we had. Everything went great until she pulled out the scary movie she had rented for us to watch. Although I can't remember what it was, I remember it was rated R.

I knew I shouldn't watch the movie but I didn't have the guts to ask them to put something else on. I ended up sneaking out of the house and heading over to the Poulsons so I could use their phone to call my parents for an early ride home. I was so embarrassed to have to leave early, but I don't think anyone noticed. Although I didn't have the courage to stand up for myself, I'm glad I was able to walk away. That situation gave me the confidence to decline R rated movies for my whole life.

I was a Merry Miss during 5th grade, and had Sister Middleton as my teacher. She was a sweet lady that lived a few streets over and never had any girls (just two boys). So the 22 girls she was given became the girls she never had. Each of us were convinced we were her favorite. She would take us out for ice cream, or stop by and visit with us. I have great memories of sleepovers at her house with Katie MacIntosh, Tanya Moe, Natalie Morris, and Tiffany Welch. Of course everyone from our class was there, but these are the girls that I spent most of my time with.

We would start by working on our Gospel in Action award, then we would have some pizza and watch a movie. Sister Middleton would stock the place with candy, sodas and all kinds of junk food. One sleepover Tania, Katie and I ate a whole 5 lb licorice jar full between the three of us. We had all kinds of fun at these activities.

Tiffany Welch convinced us at one to make a Ouija board and to ask it questions. The board didn't do anything, but when Sister Middleton walked in and she found out what we were doing, she explained to us that Ouija boards were summoning evil spirits and that we should never do it. She told us a scary story about how she and a friend had played with one when she was young, and that someone ended up getting hurt really bad. It scared us all enough to never want to play with one again.

We had a Fifth Grade graduation celebration party one of our last days of school. It involved a ceremony that the parents were invited to, games, and a lunch. My Dad noticed after leaving the ceremony that everyone was being handed a can of Coke for the lunch. Since we've never drank caffeine in my family he went out and purchased a Sprite for me to drink instead. When he came into the cafeteria with the Sprite I was ashamed to have already tried a sip of Coke. Fortunately I thought it was awful, and have never since drank Coke. At the time I didn't really understand what the big deal was, but after knowing several people that were addicted to the stuff, I'm glad one sip is all I've taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment